Interns are offered the opportunity to create or take the lead on a project that will support Peirene Press’s marketing strategy. This is not a tea and photocopying internship, though you may occasionally be asked to get stuck in with mail-outs! You will work closely with the publisher and marketing director to gain an overview of a successful small independent publishing company.
Please note: this is not an editorial position.
What we’re looking for
– A self-starter, with enthusiasm and bright ideas
– Focus and persistence in completing tasks is key
– A demonstrable interest in publishing and the literary world
– Communication skills, and an outward-looking, sociable mind-set
– An interest and willingness to learn more about marketing and PR is a must
– Some knowledge and comfort with social media is a real bonus
– Supporting the marketing & PR of Peirene books: during the internship, you will take a lead on the marketing for a title.
– Helping with managing the office
– Assisting with Peirene’s Roaming Store
Time: One day a week for three months
Location: Archway, N19
Please send an email of introduction and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
What previous Interns say about their experience with us:
WHAT YOU GET WITH INTERNING AT PEIRENE PRESS ARE TANGIBLE RESULTS YOU CAN USE FOR A PORTFOLIO.
MEIKE AND MADDY ENCOURAGE INTERNS TO BE IMAGINATIVE IN THEIR WORK AND TAKE ON A DIVERSE RANGE OF PROJECTS. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TALK EXTENSIVELY ABOUT MY INTERNSHIP AT PEIRENE IN JOB INTERVIEWS.
I FELT THAT MY INPUT WAS WELCOMED AND VALUED AT EVERY POINT THROUGHOUT THE EXPERIENCE, AND MADDY AND MEIKE WERE WONDERFULLY ENCOURAGING AND HELPFUL, TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE SURE THAT I WAS AWARE OF WHAT WAS INVOLVED AT EVERY STAGE OF THE PROCESS OF PUBLICATION.
INTERNING AT PEIRENE PRESS OFFERED ME MORE THAN I EXPECTED. I WAS GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO USE MY INITIATIVES AND DEMONSTRATE MY CREATIVE ABILITIES AND I WAS ASSIGNED TASKS THAT ALLOWED ME TO UNDERTAKE RESPONSIBILITIES.
Yasmin Olaide Jayesimi
ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS I TOOK AWAY FROM WORKING WITH PEIRENE WAS THAT CREATIVITY AND BUSINESS CAN GO HAND IN HAND AT A SMALL PUBLISHER. I THINK THE TRADITIONAL VIEW IS THAT BUSINESS DESTROYS CREATIVITY, BUT WORKING WITH PEIRENE I FOUND MYSELF EXCITED ABOUT BUSINESS AND MARKETING ONCE AGAIN BECAUSE YOU ARE USING CREATIVE STRATEGIES TO SELL A CREATIVE PRODUCT, INSTEAD OF FORCING A CREATIVE PROJECT INTO A BUSINESS SHAPE THAT WOULD ULTIMATELY HARM THE PRODUCT’S QUALITY AND REPUTATION. YOU DO A GREAT JOB OF KEEPING YOUR PRACTICAL BUSINESS-HEAD ON, WHICH IS WHY THE COMPANY STAYS FINANCIALLY AFLOAT, BUT YOU ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT THE BUSINESS FITS AROUND THE SPIRIT OF THE PRODUCT. AND THAT MEANS THAT NOTHING EVER FEELS AWKWARD OR OUT OF PLACE IN YOUR BRANDING, DESIGN OR MARKETING.